Do you know the only mammal to have a day named in his honor? Yes, it is the lowly groundhog, sometimes called the woodchuck.
The groundhog’s day is February 2. Now, it’s not a federal holiday and nobody gets off work. But, to have a day named after you is quite a feat.
Groundhog Day Trivia
- All groundhogs have 22 teeth.
- Groundhogs hibernate one to a burrow, with at least two doorways.
- Males emerge earlier than females each spring.
- Groundhogs can lose 50 per cent of their body weight in hibernation. Their maximum size is 10 kilograms.
- They can both swim and climb trees, and have a top speed of 15 kilometers an hour.
- Groundhog Day was once celebrated by ancient Celts. It’s halfway between the winter solstice and spring equinox.
- Farrah Fawcett, Tom Smothers, James Joyce, Graham Nash, Christie Brinkley, and my son were all born on Groundhog Day.
What do you think Clay Aiken is doing this Groundhog Day? Is he at home, putting the finishing touches on his new project, or is he in Los Angeles/New York/Vancouver, working hard and still having some fun? Wherever he is, I hope Clay is having a great day!
Pictures of Clay always make me smile. How about you?
Do you remember these appearances?
They certainly are diverse!