Clay Aiken…this name is all over the internet again today. It seems that everyone wants to spread the word about his future!
This morning, WRAL posted about Clay in an article titled:
Pop singer Clay Aiken is assembling a political team for a run at the Democratic nomination in the 2nd Congressional District, sources told WRAL News on Thursday. The article is posted in the previous blog.
The WRAL announcement was followed by a tweet from Cullen Browder, an investigative reporter at WRAL:
— Cullen Browder WRAL (@cullenbrowder) January 23, 2014
I looked at the names included in this tweet. If, indeed, these people are Clay’s consultants, it would be interesting to know something about them. Each one is a highly respected political leader in North Carolina.
- A public policy and strategic communications consultant currently in private practice. – The Conti Group LLC
- Chief of Staff NC Office of the Lieutenant Governor 2002-2005
- In the 2000 presidential election, Betsy served the Vice President of the United States, Al Gore, and Senator Joe Lieberman as Northeast Director of Business Leaders for Gore/Lieberman.
- Served the President of the United States as Assistant Director of Public Liaison for Clinton/Gore 96, developing and executing national communication strategies to increase public awareness of the administration’s accomplishments and initiatives.
- One of North Carolina’s most experienced political consultants
- A key adviser to Gov. Jim Hunt through Hunt’s four terms as governor (1977-1985 and 1993-2001), in Hunt’s four campaigns for governor and in his unsuccessful race for the U.S. Senate
- Has worked with a wide range of other North Carolina politicians, including Terry Sanford and Erskine Bowles
- He co-publishes a daily blog – TalkingAboutPolitics.com – with Carter Wrenn
- Director of Engagement at NEW KIND
- Builds a digital culture for brands and organizations, guiding and creating online communities, and strategic communications and message development.
- Worked with political and nonprofit clients on direct mail, email campaigns, grassroots advocacy and more.
- He led an online fundraising program that set a North Carolina record for money raised online during a statewide campaign.
- Was the Senior Online Strategist for the Coalition to Protect All NC Families campaign.
When you look at these brief bios, you can see that Clay has surrounded himself with very professional and distinguished people who can guide him as he works to accomplish his new goals.
Ever since The Washington Blade leaked the rumor that Clay might run for Congress, I have been reading and trying to learn more about congressional politics. But even with all the reading I have been doing I know nothing about the correct strategic moves and timing that one should make. It is exciting to see Clay approaching this project with intelligence, patience, and good advice. I am enjoying watching each step.