I feel that speaking for others is the best way to use my voice.
The rest of it, all the pop-star stuff,
is ultimately a platform for giving back.
~ Clay Aiken ~
For the last nineteen years, Clay Aiken has been a busy entertainer. His life has been filled with singing, recording, touring, acting, and includes 2 runs as one of the stars of Monty Python’s Spamalot. He starred in a run of The Drowsy Chaperone and spent a summer in the musical, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Clay even ran for Congress in 2014. His busy life would be enough for most people, but Clay also chose to quietly immerse himself in helping others and speaking out about what he felt was important.
If you are a fan of Clay Aiken, you probably know that he co-founded The National Inclusion Project in 2003. The organization has grown and is now one of the top organizations that serves to bridge the gap that exists between young people with disabilities and the world around them.
And, many people know that Clay became a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF with a focus on education, in November, 2004.
But, there is so much more to Clay’s charity work. In fact, there is so much more than I can report about in one day. The following are only highlights of some of the things that Clay has participated with during the years.
Did you know that:
- Clay became a Ronald McDonald House Charities Ambassador on November 22, 2004.
- In November, 2010, Clay joined supporters of GLSEN (The Gay Lesbian & Straight Education Network) in Washington to speak in support of two bills that were coming before the government: The Safe Schools Improvement Act and The Student Non-Discrimination Act.
- While starring in Spamalot, Clay worked hard to raise money for Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights Aids. Clay lent his support by offering items to the on-line auction. For two years, his items topped the bids for BC/EFA. The two Sir Robin bears broke records for the highest amount of money earned.
- Clay made a “doodle” and a mask that were auctioned off to worthy charities.
- Clay mentored one of the groups of kids involved with Rosie O’ Donnells Broadway Kids’ Showcase on April 27, 2009.
- On January 10, 2004, Clay performed at the halftime of a men’s basketball game at UNCC. That same evening, he donated $20,000 to the universities capital campaign.
- Clay was a guest speaker at the “2010 Human Rights Campaign Carolinas Gala” held in Raleigh on February 27, 2010.
- In 2004, Clay appeared with other celebrities as part of the McDonald’s World Children’s Day event. The event raised money for the Ronald McDonald house and other children’s charities. He put his handprints in cement and raised more money than all the rest of the items combined.
- Clay performed at a benefit for the Autism Society of Delaware and the Bubel Aiken Foundation on June 5, 2004.
- Clay met with children at P.S. 76 in Harlem, New York in 2003. He read to a class of second-graders as part of Wachovia Corporation’s Reading First program.
If you look at this list, you will see that I have not mentioned, Clothes Off Your Back, The David Foster Foundation, The True Colors Fund, The Rosalynn Carter Institute, The American Australian Association, Disney Hand, Forces of Nature Aid Foundation, MDA, National Center for Learning Disabilities….and MANY MORE!!
I feel bad for only mentioning The National Inclusion Project and UNICEF. These are so important to Clay, but I thought today, we would look at the bigger picture. I will report on Clay’s involvement with these 2 charities on another day.
Clay opens his heart to the world.
How easy it is to support this young man!
For those of you who have read this, the information is good to review.
Clay Aiken is an amazing man!
This might be a good day to tweet this article and leave some comments!
People need to know this Clay Aiken!
Every celebrity should hope to be a role model to kids, to teenagers, to young adults.
I talk about the causes that are important to me now, things that matter to me, and I’m in a position to help.
~ Clay Aiken ~
I hope you all have a wonderful and exciting day!!