It is November 1st, 2009.
The topaz is the birthstone for November.
The chrysanthemum is the flower for the month of November.
In the United States:
- Election Day is on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. (Got that?)
- Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11th
- Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in the month
In case that is not enough, the month of November hosts many unique celebrations.
- National Adoption Month – a month set aside to raise awareness about the adoption of children and youth from foster care.
- Diabetics Awareness Month – time to shine a spotlight on a serious disease that leads to potentially life-threatening complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness, and amputation.
- National Family Caregiver Month – The goal for NFC Month is always to raise public awareness about issues surrounding family caregiving and to empower family caregivers.
The Great American Smokeout sponsored by the American Cancer Society occurs on the third Thursday of November, one week before Thanksgiving. Smokers are encouraged to quit smoking for these 24 hours, in hopes that they will quit forever.
There are hundreds of birthdays of well-known people in the month of November. Some of the well-known birthdays are :
- Daniel Boone, American frontiersman, born November 2, 1734
- Will Durant, American historian, philosopher, and educator, born November 5, 1885.
- John Phillip Sousa, American bandmaster, born November 6, 1854.
- Martin Luther, German religious leader, born November 10, 1483.
- George Eliot, English novelist, born November 22, 1819.
- Charles deGaulle French statesman, born November 22, 1890.
- Benjamin Britten, British composer, born November 22, 1913.
- Jonathan Swift, who wrote Gulliver’s Travels, born November 30, 1667.
- Mark Twain, American author, born November 30, 1835.
- British statesman Sir Winston Churchill born November 30, 1874.
AND……the most important birthday celebrated in November is:
Clay Aiken, American Pop singer, comedian, actor and philanthropist, born November 30, 1978.