Did You Know?
- October 30th is National Candy Corn Day.
- One serving of candy corn contains only about 140 calories.
- Candy corn has 3.57 calories per kernel.
- More than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced this year. That equates to nearly 9 billion pieces –enough to circle the moon nearly four times if laid end-to-end.
- Halloween accounts for 75% of the annual candy corn production.
- A cup of candy corn has fewer calories than a cup of raisins.
- Candy Corn was invented by George Renninger and produced by the Wunderlee Candy Company in the 1880’s. In 1900, the Goelitz Candy Company, now JellyBelly Candy Company, started mass-producing the candy, but, due to lack of machinery, it was only made available seasonally from March to November. Its recipe has remained unchanged.
- Candy corn isn’t just for Halloween. There is also:
1. Reindeer corn for Christmas (red, green, and white)
2. Indian corn (it’s chocolate and vanilla flavored)
3. Cupid corn for Valentine’s Day (red, pink, and white)
4. Bunny corn for Easter (pastel-colored)
At least we know that Clay Aiken can eat Candy corn without an allergic reaction. I wonder if the younger member of his family has had Candy Corn yet??
I love that so many of fans of Clay Aiken are so talented. The following are some fun graphics made by fans.