Do you know the only mammal to have a day named in his honor? Yes, it is the lowly groundhog, sometimes called the woodchuck.
The groundhog’s day is February 2. Now, it’s not a federal holiday and nobody gets off work. But, to have a day named after you is quite a feat.
Groundhog Day Trivia
- All groundhogs have 22 teeth.
- Groundhogs hibernate one to a burrow, with at least two doorways.
- Males emerge earlier than females each spring.
- Groundhogs can lose 50 per cent of their body weight in hibernation. Their maximum size is 10 kilograms.
- They can both swim and climb trees, and have a top speed of 15 kilometers an hour.
- Groundhog Day was once celebrated by ancient Celts. It’s halfway between the winter solstice and spring equinox.
- Farrah Fawcett, Tom Smothers, James Joyce, Graham Nash, Christie Brinkley, and my son were all born on Groundhog Day.
What do you think Clay Aiken is doing this Groundhog Day? I wonder if he is at home, sorting things…one box is labeled NYC, another NC, and another Goodwill!! Or maybe he is in New York, working hard. I do hope he had fun watching the Super Bowl and just used yesterday as a day to have some fun. Wherever he is and whatever he is doing, I hope Clay is having a great day!
Pictures of Clay always make me smile. How about you?
Do you remember these appearances?
They certainly are diverse!
What an exciting life!
Do you remember these occasions ?