Happy Presidents’ Day!
It’s an extra holiday that gives most people a 3-day week-end
… no school, no work, and maybe a week-end of winter fun!
But…lets be real:
Presidents’ Day is an American holiday celebrated on the third Monday in February. Originally established in 1885 in recognition of President George Washington, it is still officially called “Washington’s Birthday” by the federal government.
It’s a day to honor all of our presidents.
How is your history? Mine is not too good, but I did find a few fun facts about some of our presidents.
Did you know:
- The tallest President was Abraham Lincoln (1861-65). He stood 6 feet, 4 inches tall.
- The heaviest President was William Howard Taft (1909-13), who sometimes tipped the scales at more than 300 pounds during his tenure. After he became stuck in the White House bathtub, Taft ordered a new one installed. The replacement was big enough to hold four grown men of average size.
- John Quincy Adams (1825-29), the sixth President, customarily took a nude early morning swim in the Potomac River.
- When Lewis and Clark were exploring the West, two young bear cubs were sent East to President Jefferson. He kept the bears in a cage on the White House lawn and occasionally went on walks with them.
- James Garfield had a dog named Veto!
- John Tyler had 15 children. The White House must have been hopping!
Now, that’s a different kind of education!!
I hope you have a great day and I hope that Clay Aiken has some fun plans for the day!
I always enjoy watching Clay sing God Bless The USA! It is the perfect song for a patriotic day!
Are you doing something special today??
What an honor it was for Clay to perform for that special day! Loved all of his songs, especially MOAM! Thank you for sharing!
Morning!! Love Clay's rendition!! I don't think we have a holiday around these parts. At least not for the kids in school. Next Mon Tues schools will be closed for Mardi Gras. Yep, it's Carnival time down here in LA!!
Laissez les bon temps roulez! Let The Good Times Roll!!!
Someday I will make it to Mardi Gras. It must be so much fun!
Not only fun but cray cray!!! Only going to one parade that they have every year right before Mardi Gras. It's called the the Spanish Town Parade. The theme is pink flamingo's and it gets bigger and bigger every year!!!
Happy Presidents Day from Canada, in Corner Brook Newfoundland we are celebrating Carnival Week with snow sculptures etc. Love the video of Clay singing that song, he must have been so proud. Love that man!
I remember watching that show on tv. Clay was so young. It must have been scary to stand before thousands of people and sing. He sounded very patriotic. He’s still very patriotic today. Hope he has a special day. Thanks for the interesting presidential facts. ❤️ UNCONDITIONAL love for you Clay. Happy Presidents’ Day!!