OK…Think…Think back to the last week of June, 2003. What was the number one song during the last week of June – 2003?
The number one song was This Is The Night, sung by the fabulous singer, Clay Aiken!! Can you imagine? That was 18 years ago!!
Were you watching American Idol when Clay sang This Is The Night for the first time? I was watching and it certainly made me smile.
Clay also sang the song at The Miss America Pageant
And…on May 28, 2003
Good Morning America
Then, on The View on July 30th, 2003
- Clay Aiken released This Is The Night/Bridge Over Troubled Water as a CD single on June 10, 2003.
- According to USA Today, US sales of the single sold 1,012,000 units –as of June, 2009.
- The single was RIAA certified Gold and Platinum on July 13, 2003.
- The single was at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles for 11 non-consecutive weeks. It left the chart after 45 weeks.
- This Is The Night/Bridge Over Troubled Water had the biggest first-week sales of any single since Elton John’s “Candle in the Wind (1997). It was also easily the best-selling single of 2003.
You might have to watch twice…1st, watch Clay…the second time, watch the faces of the young girls as they watch Clay sing. It’s worth a second look!!
Did you buy this song when it came out?