It is always dangerous when I have time to work on organizing my computer. Well, dangerous… or, hopefully fun…I often find videos or pictures that I had completely forgotten about.
In 2006, a new show premiered called American Idol Extra. Shown on the Fox Reality Channel, the show was billed as “the show that picks up right where American Idol leaves off.” The show interviewed each week’s eliminated contestant and also interviewed Idol contestants from the past. The show lasted for four seasons and used former Idols as the hosts for the show, including Ace Young, Mikalah Gordon, and Matthew Rogers.
On April 3, 2008, the show traveled to Broadway to interview Clay Aiken at The Shubert Theater. Clay was starring as Sir Robin in the award winning musical, Spamalot. The interviewer attended the show and then sat down to talk to Clay. The interview was short, but covered many points:
- The announcer said that Clay had a first rate career ever since being on Idol with top ranked CDs, sold out concerts, and now Spamalot.
- Clay said it was important to make the role fresh each night.
- They chatted about having to learn to dance, talk, walk and smile at the same time.
- Clay commented that he did well if he was taught the dance steps but was not good doing something different.
- He took the interviewer on a tour of the wig room.
- They talked about living in New York.
- They also talked about Clay’s new CD.
- They showed short clips of the bus with Clay’s picture plus some of the show.
- Clay mentioned that Simon always called contestants Broadway…when he was trying to put them down. Clay said that Broadway performers are some of the most talented people around and that Simon can kiss his—foot!
It was a fun interview and Clay seemed very relaxed. It is always fun to see positive interviews with Clay.
Have you seen this interview before? Did you enjoy it?