Civil Rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., born in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1929, never backed down in his stand against racism. He dedicated his life to achieving equality and justice for all Americans of all colors. King believed that peaceful refusal to obey unjust law was the best way to bring about social change.
Interesting Facts about Martin Luther King, Jr.
- King was the youngest person to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.
- Martin Luther King Day was celebrated for the first time on January 20th 1986.
- At the Atlanta premier of the movie Gone with the Wind, Martin sang with his church choir.
- There are over 730 streets in the United States named after Martin Luther King, Jr.
- One of his main influences was Mohandas Gandhi who taught people to protest in a non-violent manner.
- He was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
The following are a few of my favorite Quotes from Martin Luther King:
“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do keep moving forward.”
“Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.”
“Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.”
“I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
“If we do an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, we will be a blind and toothless nation.”
“No person has the right to rain on your dreams.”
On a National Holiday, I think of Clay’s wonderful singing
on the Capitol Mall in
It was beautiful!