I am a day late, but we can’t skip over this wonderful anniversary!
The following tweet was published on Monday:
THIS DAY IN MUSIC HISTORY 2003 – American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken went to No.1 on the U.S. singles chart with This Is The Night!
Isn’t it fun to see that this amazing accomplishment is still remembered and important!
Were you watching American Idol when Clay sang This Is The Night for the first time? I was watching and it certainly made me smile.
Clay also sang the song at The Miss America Pageant
And…on May 28, 2003
Good Morning America
- Clay Aiken released This Is The Night/Bridge Over Troubled Water as a CD single on June 10, 2003.
- According to USA Today, US sales of the single sold 1,012,000 units –as of June, 2009.
- The single was RIAA certified Gold and Platinum on July 13, 2003.
- The single was at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles for 11 non-consecutive weeks. It left the chart after 45 weeks.
- This Is The Night/Bridge Over Troubled Water had the biggest first-week sales of any single since Elton John’s “Candle in the Wind (1997). It was also easily the best-selling single of 2003.
When was the last time you listened to This Is The Night?