Today, CANN is publishing an Encore Article. This article was written before Clay announced he was running for Congress.
We have lots of new readers who have reached out to learn more about Clay since he has been on the Campaign Trail for the Representative of District 2 House of Representatives. I think it is important that they get to know some things about Clay that don’t get a lot of publicity, but say so much about who he is as a man!
For those of you who have read this, the information is good to review. Clay Aiken is an amazing man!
This might be a good day to tweet this article and leave some comments! People need to know this Clay Aiken!
I feel that speaking for others is the best way to use my voice.
The rest of it, all the pop-star stuff,
is ultimately a platform for giving back.
~ Clay Aiken ~
For the last eleven years, Clay Aiken has been a busy entertainer. His life has been filled with singing, recording, touring, acting, and includes 2 runs as one of the stars of Monty Python’s Spamalot. His busy life would be enough for most people, but Clay also chose to quietly immerse himself in helping others and speaking out about what he felt was important.
If you are a fan of Clay Aiken, you probably know that he co-founded The National Inclusion Project in 2003. The organization has grown and is now one of the top organizations that serves to bridge the gap that exists between young people with disabilities and the world around them.
And, many people know that Clay became a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF with a focus on education, in November, 2004.
But, there is so much more to Clay’s charity work. In fact, there is so much more than I can report about in one day. The following are only highlights of some of the things that Clay has participated with during the years.
Did you know that:
- Clay became a Ronald McDonald House Charities Ambassador on November 22, 2004.
- In November, 2010, Clay joined supporters of GLSEN (The Gay Lesbian & Straight Education Network) in Washington to speak in support of two bills that were coming before the government: The Safe Schools Improvement Act and The Student Non-Discrimination Act.
- While starring in Spamalot, Clay worked hard to raise money for Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights Aids. Clay lent his support by offering items to the on-line auction. For two years, his items topped the bids for BC/EFA. The two Sir Robin bears broke records for the highest amount of money earned.
- Clay made a “doodle” and a mask that were auctioned off to worthy charities.
- Clay mentored one of the groups of kids involved with Rosie O’ Donnells Broadway Kids’ Showcase on April 27, 2009.
- On January 10, 2004, Clay performed at the halftime of a men’s basketball game at UNCC. That same evening, he donated $20,000 to the universities capital campaign.
- Clay was a guest speaker at the “2010 Human Rights Campaign Carolinas Gala” held in Raleigh on February 27, 2010.
- In 2004, Clay appeared with other celebrities as part of the McDonald’s World Children’s Day event. The event raised money for the Ronald McDonald house and other children’s charities. He put his handprints in cement and raised more money than all the rest of the items combined.
- Clay performed at a benefit for the Autism Society of Delaware and the Bubel Aiken Foundation on June 5, 2004.
- Clay met with children at P.S. 76 in Harlem, New York in 2003. He read to a class of second-graders as part of Wachovia Corporation’s Reading First program.
If you look at this list, you will see that I have not mentioned, Clothes Off Your Back, The David Foster Foundation, The True Colors Fund, The Rosalynn Carter Institute, The American Australian Association, Disney Hand, Forces of Nature Aid Foundation, MDA, National Center for Learning Disabilities….and MANY MORE!!
I feel bad for only mentioning The National Inclusion Project and UNICEF. These are so important to Clay, but I thought today, we would look at the bigger picture. I will report on Clay’s involvement with these 2 charities on another day.
Clay opens his heart to the world. How easy it is to support this young man!
Every celebrity should hope to be a role model to kids, to teenagers, to young adults.
I talk about the causes that are important to me now, things that matter to me, and I’m in a position to help.
~ Clay Aiken ~
According the the calendar, Clay will be in Hope Mills, North Carolina today.
The Town Hall meeting is scheduled at 7:00pm at the Hope Mills Branch Library.
I would bet that he makes more stops in Cumberland County too. I hope we get some great pictures!
Wonderful post about Clay, very caring man, I have read about most of this before but nice to hear it again. Clay for Congress! Thanks Musicfan xox
Wonderful Blog today Musicfan. There is just so much to Clay Aiken. He has always told people to "Use Their Voice", and he has always done that, and continues to do it. People of NC02 will be SO FORTUNATE to have Clay representing them!!!
Just an additional note on Clay's visit to Harlem in 2003 to read to students. Earlier in the day, Clay was presented with a "Double Platinum" award from Clive Davis, after only 1 week after the release of "Measure Of A Man". Clay didn't celebrate by partying…no he went to Harlem to read to students. THIS IS THE KIND OF MAN HE IS.
Clay made sure he made full use of his celebrity status to help others and be a role model. He has exemplified that time and again consistently and diligently. He's donated all or almost all of his American Idol clothing and other items to the National Inclusion Project and other charities.
His purpose has not changed ONE BIT in his transition to politics, it has always been clear, to help better the life of others, to serve others. He is smart, a quick study and sharp as a tool, has unbelievable listening skills and leadership. NC02 can only benefit with him as congressman. Vote with confidence.
What a beautiful comment, Anna!! Thank you for posting!!
I could not agree more with Anna. His purpose has not changed, speaking up for those who can't for themselves.
It kills me that people still tweet such negative/untrue posts. I really think he just can't be that caring.
Thanks as always Musicfan.
I always thought that the 3rd photo ‘A Special Dance’ looked like a Norman Rockwell painting. Clay has been active in raising money and focusing attention on so many charities over the years. We can only hope that the voters of NC-2 will see that Clay is the person who can best serve their needs.
Awesome review musicfan! I need to pass this around. WE know all the things he's done over the years and of course we forget some of it, so thanks once again for reminding us! Clay For Congress!!
ETA: Musicfan, I wrote this comment early this morning and when I came back to check if there were any more responses, I found I forgot to click "send"!! So I'm doing it now! LOL!!
Glad to see your comment any time!!!
Great blog! Off to retweet.
(That picture of Clay on his knees dancing with the woman has always been a favorite of mine.)