On May 26, 2003, Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard made their first visit to The Today Show. Talking with Katie Couric, both singers seemed happy, but very tired. Clay told Katie that he didn’t even know what day it was as they had been busy since the end of American Idol.
During his interview with Katie, Clay talked about:
- 130,000 vote difference
- Seeing Ryan’s card and the “long name” on it
- The whirlwind press since American Idol
- The Idol judges and his thoughts and feelings about them
- Clay’s past as a teacher in Special Education
- Meeting with Clive Davis and Clay’s new record contract
While discussing some of the possible songs for his new album, Katie asked Clay to sing a bit of Solitaire. Of course, even with no sleep, Clay sounded wonderful. Katie also mentioned that her 7-year-old daughter was an original Claymate.
The weather was horrible as a rainstorm hit New York, but there was a huge crowd in the Plaza to see the Clay and Ruben. Fortunately, they were under a tent to perform. Because it was Memorial Day Week-end, their song choice was “God Bless The USA.”
There are lots of pictures of this performance and a great video. Enjoy!!