Soundscan is the official method of tracking sales of music and music video products throughout the United States and Canada. The data is collected weekly and is made available every Wednesday to subscribers, which include executives from all the different sections of the music, film and TV fields. SoundScan has been the sales source for the Billboard music charts since 1991.
On Wednesday, December 15, 2010, Billboard published their 100 Hot Lists. Because of the holiday season, many holiday albums are a part of their list. The following Holiday albums were all a part of the Top 50 albums by sales for the last week.
- Susan Boyle – The Gift
- Glee Cast – Christmas Album
- Jackie Evancho – O Holy Night
- Andrea Bocelli – My Christmas
- Mariah Carey – Merry Christmas II You
- Josh Groban – Noel
- Vince Guaraldi – Charlie Brown Christmas
- Now That’s What I Call Christmas V. 4 – Various Artists
- Annie Lennox – Christmas Cornucopia
- Chris Tomlin – Glory in the Highest: Christmas
- Lady Antebellum – Merry Little Christmas
- Michael Buble – Let It Snow
- Taylor Swift – Holiday Collection
When you look at the list, you can see that it is a combination of new albums and albums that have become classics. I am sure that each one of the albums is very nice, but it certainly isn’t MY list of favorite Holiday Albums. My list would be:
- Merry Christmas With Love – Clay Aiken (Surprise!!)
- All Is Well – Clay Aiken (I wish more people could hear these fabulous songs)
- It’s A Wonderful Christmas – Michael W. Smith (I can imagine Clay dueting on Christmas Day.)
- Let It Snow – Chanticleer – New Yorker Magazine calls Chanticleer “the world’s reigning male chorus.” The 12 male voices range from countertenors to bass. It’s different, but really amazing.
- Christmas Carol – James Galway – This 1986 album is more instrumental than vocal. Because Galway is a flautist, the arrangements are a bit different than you find in other albums.
What about you? Besides Clay’s fabulous Christmas music, do you have a favorite album or recording? If so, why not let us know. We don’t need Billboard – we can put together are own Top list!!
Did you see the great music player that Team Clay put on Twitter today? What a fun way to hear Clay sing O Holy Night!
Another Twitter entry today revealed this great page. Be sure to click on the chocolate to see the entire site!!